Sunday 13 December 2015

Review of the day

One of the good things about having done this ‘job’ for a few years, is that I now feel able to cope with most situations…

Over the past 3+ years, there’s not much that I’ve not experienced – good and bad -  with regard to the racing.

I’m pretty sure, that in my first year tipping, faced with a day like today, I would have looked to force things.
Maybe tip at Doncaster or Lingfield – as the races (and horses) were theoretically there.

But today, it never crossed my mind.
The level of uncertainty was just too great.
Simply, if I’d tipped at Doncaster, I would have been guessing: and whilst Lingfield was different, they would still have been a lot of guess work involved.

Instead, I focused my efforts on Cheltenham.
It’s never easy there - and I took on the 3 most competitive races. However, I felt I had moved the odds in our favour – so we just needed a bit of luck.

To be honest, I wouldn’t have been surprised if it had ended up a winner-less day.
But equally, I felt we were on 3 horses with live chances.

I would have made it 50:50 whether we got a winner on the day…
And thankfully, for the second day in a row, we did get a winner.

That was courtesy of Lily Waugh, who showed she has guts - in addition to her class – and got home in front on the final race on the card.

When I first looked at the race last night, I was drawn to Rons Dream.
She did us a huge favour last time – and as with Keel Haul, I though she might be able to follow up today.
However, my feeling was she needed a little further - and I didn’t like the fact Sean Bowen wasn’t on board (even though he had been replaced by Dickie !).

Coming round the home turn, I thought I had chosen wrongly.
However, Lily kept on battling – and when David Noonan went for the split after jumping the last, I was pretty sure she was going to get there.

So, 2 unlikely looking winners in as many days – whatever next !!

In terms of the days other tips, then Keel Haul ran a perfectly respectable race – even if I think he under performed.
I say that because the 2 horses he beat last time out, finished first and second.
You could argue that at the revised weights, things should have been close between the 3 of them.
However, that just confirms that Keel Haul should have at least finished much nearer.

As I said this morning, he would have had no issue with the ground - and is a progressive horse.

However, his jumping wasn’t completely blemish free - and as I’ve said before, they are not machines.
I wont be giving up on him just yet, though...

Similarly, I wont be giving up on the days other tip, Little Jon.
He seemed to be travelling every bit as well as the winner, Village Vic, when stumbling on landing at half way.
The mistake was so bad, it completely did for his chances.

To his credit, he tried to mount a challenge – but it was always going to be futile.

It was shame, as the way the race panned out, I suspect he would have gone very close.

I won’t bother going through the all of the days ‘mentions’ as they were conditional on the weather - and even now, I’m not completely sure what to make of the ground.

Just a couple of quick comments:
I thought Old Guard was impressive - and shouldn’t be underestimated this side of Cheltenham.
Whilst Gevrey Chambertin was also impressive and could easily follow up today’s win (provided the handicapper doesn’t go mad with him).

Finally, I feel oblige to mention again the Naps competition in the forum.
Dave is doing a great job running it – but I can’t believe how well the guys who are competing, are performing.
I might be wrong, but I think there were 5 individual winning Naps today (from 17) – and all at decent prices !

To a level stake, if you had backed every Nap put up in the competition so far, you would be well in profit.
Even if you are not participating, I really do think it is worth a quick look, every day.

The guys who subscribe to TVB clearly have been taught their trade very well indeed 

 TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment