Sunday 13 December 2015

Review of the day

It was an afternoon of 2 halves: with a great start – but a rather flat end…

The great start was given to us by Lord Landen, who somehow managed to win the amateur riders chase at Cheltenham.

I thought his chance had gone when he was interfered with by the fall of Ultragold (plus Garrahalish and Kilronan High).
At that point I was just hoping he could stay on to claim some place money – but his jockey had different ideas…

Even jumping the last, second looked the best he could possibly achieve – but he kept on staying, whilst the leader, Comeonginger was tying up.

He got there in the final stride, for a most unlikely win.
I can recall us being in that position so many times before, but I can’t honestly recall us ever being on the winner.
It was a bit of a strange feeling…

Unfortunately however, that was as good as the day got…

In the cross country race, On His Own showed conclusively, that he isn’t a banks horse.
He looked uncomfortable from the off – and eventually unshipped Paul Townend just after half way.
I suspect that is the last cross country race we’ll see him in.

If anyone had told me in advance that One Track Mind, Monbeg Gold and Fingerontheswitch would finish out of the frame in the handicap hurdle at 2:55, I honestly think I would have had a point EW on Oscarteea !

Well they did – but amazingly, so did he.
He was actually one of the first ones beaten and I’m at a loss to explain his run.
In truth, I’m at a loss to explain the entire race – though it did appear to be run at something of a crawl, so maybe that accounts for what can only be described as a bizarre outcome…

The final tips of the day ran in the last event of the day, at Doncaster.
Again, this struck me as an odd race.
Both Hidden Justice and Alzammaar were held up near the back in a slowly run race.
They both made some progress down the home straight – but never really looked like getting there.
Alzammaar ultimately finished third – but Hidden Justice could only manage sixth.
I’m sure both could have done better…

So far as the mentions were concerned: then Blaklion put up a good performance to win the opening novice chase at Cheltenham.
I doubt he is top class - but he is clearly very useful (and was a worthy winner).
In the handicap hurdle at 1:10, the Achilles heal of A Hares Breath was shown to be his jumping. The horse has clearly got some engine – but he was ponderous over all of his obstacles and as you go up the grades, that tends to cost.
I could see him being switched to fences, sooner rather than later.
Finally, Aachen put up a commanding performance and ran his rivals ragged in the handicap chase.
It was difficult to know quite where the run came from – though there appeared no fluke about it.
I suspect he just got the run of the race under an enterprising ride – but all credit to him for taking advantage.

Just a reminder, that as it’s a Friday, I will open the tipping window at 6:00, in case there is anything I can tip this evening for tomorrows  big races.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment