Monday 23 November 2015

Review of the day

After ‘near misses’ the past two seasons, it was great to finally nail the Troytown this afternoon.

As I said this morning, the race was in danger of becoming something of a bogey event for me – but Riverside City laid all that to rest.

It might not have been quite as good as if I’d tipped Cootamundra 2 years ago – but unless I can crack time travel, it will have to do !

It has been suggested that due to the affinity I’m developing with the race, next years running should be names the ‘TVB Troytown’.
I think its got a bit of a ring to it – though I’m not sure who’s going to be prepared to put up the sponsorship money !!

In the event itself, Riverside City cruised along at the back – as he had done in the Cork National.
As I expected, Kylecrue was prominent throughout  - and those who took a bit of the 25 on BF pre-race should have had little issue getting out in running (he touched 3.2)..

But as I suspected, he wasn’t quite up to landing the pot – and fortunately for us, Riverside City was.
Under a great ride from his conditional jockey, Jack Kennedy, he was produced running to the last and stayed on well from there.

If races always went according to script to such an extent, I would be running this service from the Bahamas !

In terms of the mentions, then I guess the one to focus on, is Pure Science.
As I suspected this morning, he showed himself a horse with the best part of a stone in hand of his current mark.

Clearly, he should have been another tip – but simply, I didn’t allow myself enough time last night to go through the race properly.
I could have guessed about the quality of the opposition – but I would have been guessing, really.
All this said, I know a fair few of you were on him – so the main damage was just to the official P&L (and I’m well used to that !)

Of the other mentions, then King of Glory was even more disappointing today than he had been last time.
He is clearly one that needs to be left well alone, in the short term at least.

At Exeter, Key to the West was simply not quick enough to live with De Faoithesdream.
That would have been my fear on the decent ground – but I expected the heavy ground to blunt the speed of De Faiothesdream.
It didn’t – and he absolutely bolted up.

In the novice chase on the card, then Rolling Maul showed a real reluctance to jump a fence.
I’m not sure how that will be overcome (in fact he could well be switched back to hurdles) – but I am unlikely to be mentioning him positively again whilst he is jumping fences.

Finally, back at Navan, Douvan was very impressive in the beginners chase – though it didn’t tell us much (other than he can reach for fence if he has to !).

Whilst it was all too much for the old legs of Pencilhimin, in the handicap hurdle – and whilst Misty Lady ran better, it was left to the market leaders to fight out a very tight finish.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment