Sunday 29 November 2015

Review of the day

It’s always really difficult to know where to draw the line, tipping wise, on a day like today…

Lots of suitable races – and lots of suitable horses – as I said first thing this morning, I could easily have tipped in 6 races.

But I didn’t – I tipped in 4 – and that was probably a mistake.

In fairness, it’s not easy fitting everything in. There are only so many hours – and checking things out properly takes time…

I felt last night, that Silver Eagle was potentially a huge danger to Wild Bill, at Doncaster.
I therefore decided to wait and see what the market made of him before committing to the tip.
The market seemed to like the chances of Silver Eagle very much - and that put me off Wild Bill.

Ofcourse, what I really needed to know was what the market thought of Silver Eagle at the off
And it wasn’t anywhere near as keen then – but I can’t tip early and know that.
It’s what you have to deal with, playing the way I do…

Anyway, that was the big negative on the day (from an official P&L perspective) – but  there was a positive as well !

In truth, I could easily have not tipped Blades Lad.
Not because I didn’t fancy him – but because I nearly left the Musselburgh meeting alone.

However, he appeared in my alerts – and I allowed myself 5 mins to check out his race – and I very much liked what I saw.
Fine lines…

In truth, we nearly ended up on the wrong side of those fine lines with him, as well.
Relentless rain in Edinburgh, changed the ground from good to soft – and whilst he got away with it, it was only just.
His stamina gauge was flashing ‘empty’ quite alarmingly, as he laboured past the post.
But he managed to hang on – and that was the important thing.

And it was as well he did, because the tips that had run earlier in the day, had been disappointing…

First up it was Night in Milan and Echos Spring at Doncaster.
In fairness, both horses travelled like a dream, at the head of affairs – and turning for home, both traded at less than 3 in-running.
It really did seem a question of which one.

But then, in a matter of strides, both emptied – and their races were over…

I suspect the stamina of Echo Springs gave out – whilst maybe Night in Milan was just getting fit for a return to fences (the late price drift on him, suggested today wasn’t going to be the day).

I thought L’Unique was a little disappointing at Newbury.
In fairness, she jumped much better than I thought she might – but she was never really travelling.
Maybe she was struggling with the bad ground – but the way the race panned out, I would have hoped she could have got closer.

I would also have hoped that Monetaire would have got closer – much closer – but he was another to disappoint.
As I said this morning, he had ticks in almost every box - but in the race, he never remotely threatened.
I’m sure his mark will be revised downwards as a result – but it would be difficult to support him next time (even if the Pipe stable were in better form).

In the other races on the Newbury card: I thought Bincombe ran OK – but maybe a bit too freely and didn’t quite get home.
Again, I would expect his mark to drop as a result and he could soon be of interest.

Gevrey Chambertain ran a very similar race to last time (staying on well past beaten horses). He is almost certainly a ‘plot’ job – the question will be whether I can identify the day he is being plotted up for !

At Doncaster, Off the Ground ran a very commendable race – and his handicap mark wasn’t being work on.
He was just a bit unlucky to bump into a young improver.
He would definitely be one to be interested in next time – though I suspect his price might be tight.

Finally, in the bumper, Walk Waterford came with a very promising looking challenge about 2 furlongs out – but didn’t go through with it.
He should come on for the run – whilst I’m sure Derek O’Connor will enjoy his night in the bars and clubs of Leeds city centre 

Just a reminder for those on the tipping service, that as it’s a Friday, the tipping window will be open at 6:00, in case there is anything I can tip this evening for tomorrows big races.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment