Monday 23 November 2015

Review of the day

We didn’t quite get the rub of the green this afternoon – and you invariably need that if you are going to come out on top…

There were two tips on the day (plus a few mentions !) and whilst neither managed to deliver, they both had interesting stories attached to their failures (as is so often the case !).

First up it was Gone too Far.
He’s probably the first drifter I’ve ever tipped !
Out to 12/1 in a place when I sent out the message – he was half that – and strong at the off.
However, he didn’t get high enough at the very first fence – and the chance to see if a could tip a winning drifter, was over before it had begun.

It was a shame as well, as the race was there to be won.
The favourite, The Clock Leary, under performed – and I suspect it took very little winning.
One that got away, I suspect…

In a way, it was a similar case with the days other tip, Looks Like Power.
He was just too keen early on – nearly pulling Paul Moloneys arms out.
It says much for his ability that he still managed to come there travelling strongly at the third last.
However, his early exertions took their toll and he could only finish third.

The races was won by Kublai – who I thought would be the main danger.
The concern with him was his well-being – but generally they don’t run if they are not right (certainly if trained by Philip Hobbs).

With hindsight, I should have split stakes on him – but I didn’t.
I hope most of you managed to recover any loses through a saver on him, though…

With regard to the mentions, then it was a mixed day…

At Ludlow, I was a fair way off the mark in the handicap chase at 2:20.
In fairness the reason I left the race alone was because of the potential for a pace war.
It didn’t materialise - because Artiface Sivola was far too quick for any of them !
That completely messed things up for Kerryhead Storm – and to a lesser extent, Tornado in Milan.
Both of their runs can be ignored.
It also took Minella Definitely well out of his comfort zone – though I thought he plugged on quite admirably.

I am Colin jumped so much better in the following race, it was difficult to believe it was the same horse as at Huntingdon, last time.
He ran his race – no doubt about that - but bumped into one in the shape of Kings Song.
That is always a danger in low class races – and whilst Kings Song hadn’t shown much over hurdles - he showed an awful lot more over fences today.

At Kempton, Vaniteux won the novice chase comfortably.
I thought he might, if he was fit and able to jump – but not knowing that in advance, I still maintain he was a poor bet at 4/6.
That said, both Stephanie Francis and Qewy were disappointing, never really threatening the favourite.

I did think I’d missed a trick not tipping Walk on Al this morning.
We could have had 7/1 early – and he was sent off a 5/2 shot.
However, I was concerned that both Lady of Longstone and Monetary Fund might prove tough adversaries – and so it proved.
Lady of Longstone set out to make every post a winning one – and succeeded !
Whilst Monetary Fund ran a big race to finish third.
Walk on Al meanwhile, finished well beaten.
One that the market got wrong…

I would be very interested to hear any feedback on the back to lay in running angle, that I’ve mentioned the past couple of days (and previously as well).
I guess I don’t know whether any one is actually paying attention to it – or if I am just wasting my typing.
Feedback in the forum would be welcome…

In the final event on the card, I couldn’t decide between Presenting Arms, Paddy’s Runner and Polstar – and they finished first, second and third.
Well at least you can now understand my pre-race quandary 

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment