Tuesday 3 November 2015

Review of the day

I think generally the pre-season was as good I could have hoped for.
I know I’m reading things well – and am either there – or thereabouts, with most of the race I look at…

However, the one thing that a pre-season can never sharpen, is the tipping.
Obviously I have the mentions to help me out – but it’s always nice to get the tips to win.

I was a bit unsure as to exactly how many I should tip today.
It could have been as many as half a dozen – but in the end, I opted to tip the one I thought was strongest.
We have a long old season in front of us – so there is no need to force things.

Unfortunately, the one I thought was strongest was Son of Suzie – and whilst he ran a fair race, he was no match for the re-invigorated Vintage Star.
When horses get backed like he did – and receive the kind of aggressive ride he was subjected to – they normally win !

Son of Suzie will likely come on for the race – and if he can brush up his jumping a little, he could be capable of winning a race off his current mark.

As for the mentions…

Well they got off to a flyer, virtue of Shimal Dawn, who barely put a foot wrong at Carlisle.
He jumped well; travelled nicely – and battled when he had to.
It was a good performance.

His victory was followed shortly after, by one for Vision Des Champs.
Unlike Shimla Dawn, I think he won his race simply because he was the least bad horse in the race !
I knew that was a possibility – but it seems a slightly dodgey method for picking horses !!

That was actually as good as it got for the mentions – though it did look as if it might get a whole lot better…
Shotavodka looked sure to collect at Carlisle – collaring the leader at the last and trading at 1.06 running.
However he was worried out of it in the closing stages – which was tough to take.

Amore Alato slipped on the approach to the very first fence at Huntingdon - and from that point on, seemed to be fighting a losing battle.
The run ended up telling us little – though I would expect him to do better next time.

Over in Ireland, Riverside City ended up the shortest price of the three JP runners - and also got the best finishing position.
Alas that was only fifth – though he did travel through the race like a well handicapped horse.
I think the combination of soft ground and marathon trip, just did for him.

Finally, Phil the Flyers winning run came to an end at Naas.
I had a feeling that it might be one race too many for him – and so it proved.
He briefly threatened to close on long time leader Buster Dan Dan, as they rounded the home turn – but his effort stalled almost as soon as it started.
There were plenty of eye catchers in the race – most obviously the runner up, Roll it Out – but for Phil, I think a long holiday is on the horizon…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment