Monday 23 November 2015

Review of the day

As I said this morning, today was never going to be about spectacular returns – it was about trying to grind out a small profit – and we did that, so I have to be pleased enough…

That it was a profitable day, was down to Baby King who won the opener at Haydock, under the excellent Paddy Brennan.

I often go on about Dickie – but Paddy doesn’t sit far behind him in my list of favourites.
They are the TVB ‘go to’ guys.

In truth, I was worried pre-race by the money for the second fav Long Lunch, and in the race, I was worried by about the strong travelling Zaidiyn.
However Baby King was ready to do his job – and he was a well handicapped horse – so all turned out well.

De Boitron ran an eye catching race to stay on into third (not that my eye needed catching !).
His day in the sun isn’t long off…

Next up was Altesse De Guye – and I think we were a little unlucky with her.
Now don’t get me wrong, she was totally outclassed by Desert Queen – but that one is so enigmatic, I couldn’t possibly have tipped her.

I did look at her – but the booking of a 7lb claimer for a mare who can either refuse to race – or go off like a scalded cat – struck me as a strange move.
Harry Fry clearly knew what he was doing, however…

Altesse de Guye ran exactly the race I expected – and whilst she only just finished second, I think she was definitely the second best horse in the race.
Just a lot inferior to the winner !

The final tip to run, was Theatrical Star – but he was just disappointing.
If he run a race and finished fourth or fifth, I would have blamed the ground (which was bizarrely, much quicker than I expected).
However he ran no sort of a race – and finished tailed off.
He won’t be getting another chance…

As for the mentions:
At Haydock, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who was cheering on Emperors Choice, when it became apparent that the horses I fancied for the race, weren’t going to win.
He did us a massive favour last Christmas – and whilst I expected him to need the race today, he clearly didn’t.

The eye catcher in the race should have been Sybarite.
Tailed off at half way, he would have been third in a few more strides.
If the horse could jump, he could win some decent traces – but he can’t, so he won’t…

I was highly amused by the tactics employed on Vendor.
If there is a sure way to get a horse beaten, it is to take on a confirmed front runner. He did that – and he won that battle as well (effectively doing for the favourite, Gunner Fifteen in the process).

It even briefly looked like he might have slipped the field, turning in – but it was soon clear he was a sitting duck.
He was an exhausted horse when he passed the line in next to last place.

I suspect the handicapper might drop him back a pound or two for the run – but the Smiths are in danger of messing this one up.

They are clearly intent on working on his handicap mark – but he has so much ability, he’s not really capable of running a bad race.
It could take them all winter to get him down to the mark they are after…

I think the quicker than expected ground, did for the chances of Melodic Rendezvous in the big hurdle race.
It nearly did for Irving as well – but he managed to nail Top Notch on the run to the line.

I might not have fancied the fixed brush hurdle race much, but my shortlist of 6 still contained the first and second horses home.
I’ve long admired Dan Skelton  - but he really must be some trainer if he can improve a Venetia horse by about a stone (which is precisely what he did with Baradari)..

Once again, I think the state of the ground helped explain the outcome of the Betfair chase.
If the ground had been as heavy as I expected, I think the stamina of Silviniaco Conti would have won the day. On quick ground however, the pace of Cue Card was far too much for him…

Over at Ascot, Astigos showed that he is becoming a bit of a serial loser.
Maybe he needs a switch to Dan Skelton as well !

Vatour had to work hard to win the Stellar Artoir chase – but was clearly the best horse in the race; whilst Rock on Ruby received a text book ‘wait in front’ ride from  Barry Geraghty and had plenty left in the tank, when the challengers arrived at the second last.

Finally, Dunraven Storm showed what a talent he is, when finished second in the handicap chase.
He achieved that despite hitting almost every fence in the race.
If he could sort out his jumping, he would be borderline Champion chase class – but a bit like Sybarite, he can’t so he will never be able to truly fulfil his potential.


As it’s a Sunday, any tips will be sent out a bit later tomorrow.
I’ll aim to have made contact by 8:30

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment