Sunday 10 January 2016

Review of the day

Where to begin, on a day like today…?!

If I had ditched the tipping and just produced a write-up, you guys could have made a fortune !
It’s days like today that demonstrate how lucky the Info subscribers are 

In fairness, it wasn’t all doom and gloom for the Tips guys – though it should have been so much better…

The first tip to run was Firebird Flyer – and what a mighty race he ran…
Travelling beautifully throughout, he just gave Mountainous too much rope and couldn’t quite reel him in.
As I said this morning, it was my intention to tip the winner ante-post.
But Paul Kealy from the RP Weekender beat me to the punch and spoilt the price.

I guess I could have gone in at 16/1 – but with such a lot of uncertainty, I resisted.
Another victory for Sods Law !!

The next tip to run, was Shangani – and he was disappointing…
A bit like Pure Poteen yesterday, his jumping was shocking and never really gave him a chance.
That said, even if he had jumped well, I think he would have been fighting for a place, as Kruzhlinin looked a very well handicapped horse.

The final 2 tips on the day, ran in the final race at Kempton.
First thing, Mr Fitzroy was a weak 18/1 shot – with Last Supper tight at 10/1.
By the off, Mr Fitzroy was in to 11/2 – whilst Last Supper was 13 on BF.

And surprise, surprise, the market had it spot on, with Mr Fitzroy winning unchallenged and Last Supper tailed off.

As I implied this morning, it took an act of faith to support Mr Fitzroy – but fortunately I kept the faith and we got some reward on the day…

I wish I’d kept the faith with a couple of the ‘mentions’ at Chepstow.

I kind of wanted to tip Awaywithtegreys – but couldn’t see anyway to do so.
He travelled through the race like the horse from 12 months ago and held off the late challenge of Moorlands Mist.
It was a slightly frustrating one…

As too was the victory of Racing Pulse, later on the card.
I could see a way to tip him, but I resisted on account of the ground.
That was a mistake, as he showed a lot of class to win comfortably.
He could end up a decent staying novice.

Otago Trail won the final race on the card that I previewed – but I’ve no issue about not tipping him, as his price was way too short (even though I thought him the most likely winner).

The mentions at Kempton, didn’t do quite so well.
Ibis Du Rheu was a creditable third in the Lanzarote (behind Yala Enki and Westwren Warrior); but Comeonginger paid the price for chasing too fast a pace.
I had a suspicion that might happen – and with hindsight should have shown a little more interest in the outsiders in the race, who were likely to be held up (such as Un Beau Roman !).

Over at Punchestown, there was a bit more painful viewing (officially speaking !), as Baie Des Iles under the brilliant Derek O Connor, rewarded late market support by running down Unic De Bersy after the last.
Court Frontier was again disappointing – but this time with no obvious excuse…

Earlier on the card, I Knew Well was a big drifter in the amateur riders handicap chase.
He was 4/1 this morning – but went off at 7/1 (over 8/1 on BF).
I would have wanted market support in order to be interested in him, so I wasn’t surprised to see him run no kind of a race.
That said, the way he travelled, did make me think that he has sufficient ability to do well over fences – once the hand brake is taken off !

Finally, Diamond King won the last race on the card in impressive style.
He’s another one who I think we can consider ourselves unlucky to have not got a win out of, last time…

Not a dull day, then !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment