Sunday 27 March 2016

Review of the day

With Flementime declared a late non runners, we were left with just the 2 tips this afternoon – but fortunately, one of them did the decent thing and came home in front…

And maybe not too surprisingly, it was Johnny Og who delivered – showing unbelievable tenacity to get home, having made all.

As far as I’m concerned, this game is all about horses like him – and I honestly got as much pleasure from his victory, as I have done from any result all season.

I didn’t get quite as much pleasure from knowing I’d under-staked him (I intended to have 0.375pt on him – but then forgot !) – however it was more important that I just issued him as a tip.

My ability to slalom around winners, without tipping them, has been almost embarrassing this season – so it was nice to nail a decent priced one.

As for the days other tip, Generous Ransom, then he didn’t perform quite so well…
In all honestly, I don’t know what his issue was.
His jumping certainly wasn’t as fluent as it can be – and maybe he didn’t like the ground (or possibly just needed the run).

Whatever, he ran a laboured race – and whilst he was driven into contention 3 out, he never really looked like being involved in the finish.

That wasn’t true for Pythagorum.
I considered tipping him as a saver – and really thought I was going to regret the decision not to, as he came there strongly at the second last.
However, didn’t quite get home and faded into fourth place on the run in…

In Flementimes absence, it looked as if Rock Gone was going to take the opening contest.
He was still moving strongly when taking up the running approaching the second last – but he got the flight wrong and paid the price.

I was close enough in the following race, with Shotavodka one of the horses I was interested in – depending on the ground.
In truth, I don’t think the ground at Newbury was too soft (just a touch slower than yesterday) – but it was plenty soft enough for him and he was a facile winner.

The other horse I fancied in the race, Same Difference, jumped poorly from an early stage and was pulled up after half way.
He now has a lot to prove…

In the handicap hurdle, 2 of the ‘improvers’ Gala Ball ad Boite, finished first and second – with the solid option, Forest Bihan, back in third.
You might therefore think I read the race spot on – however the first 2 were the weakest in the betting of the 4 improvers, which isn’t what I expected.
Still, the CSF paid over £60 however, for anyone who happened to do combination forecasts on the 4 of them…

At Doncaster, the opener was won by Upsilon Bleu.
We were on him last time at Wetherby – but he ran no sort of a race.
He looked a completely different horse today, however, travelling powerfully throughout and pulling away for a comfortable win.
His handicap mark will suffer as a consequence, however…

In the following race, Waterclock become the first losing eye catcher Sad smile
He actually looked completely outclassed and I suspect the only way he will win a race, is if he’s dropped in grade.
That might happen however, so I’ll leave him on the list for a couple more runs.

The big race on the card, the Grimthrope, was won in convincing fashion, by The Last Samurai.
He looks a much improved performer this season and is likely to be high in the betting for the Grand National.

Over at Stratford, I was right to oppose Thinger Licht – but neither of the two I was interested in, managed to beat him.
Instead, that was left to Bodega, who gutsily out-battle him from the last.

Finally, Toon River managed to record his fifth course win at Gowran.
With hindsight, I’m not sure why I didn’t tip him.
I guess it was because I thought he would be well backed, if he was going to – but that wasn’t the case.
He was a 12/1 shot this morning – and even managed an SP of 9/1.
Hopefully a few of you were on him regardless !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment